Packaging ZFS

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn at jansson.tech
Thu Aug 10 15:37:19 PDT 2023

On 2023-08-10 22:36, Thibaut wrote:

>> Le 10 août 2023 à 22:25, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> a écrit :

>>> you could always run openwrt as a vm under a hypervisor, for example proxmox.
>>> then you can keep openwrt without any extra packages like zfs and create extra vms as needed, proxmox already supports zfs if im not mistaken.
>>>
>>> if your lucky with the iommu groups you might even be able to pass thru one or more physical network interfaces to the openwrt vm directly.
>>

>> I can't assume that the underlying hardware supports virtualization or does so in a meaningful way.  Some of the platforms I'm looking at are resource lean.  I threw out the Xeon-D as an example as my prototyping hardware, but I'm not going to assume that everyone has comparable hardware.
>
> ZFS is anything *but* resource lean, though.

in my experience, most regular computers (not counting home broadband "routers"
with tiny flash and cpu) do support virtualization.
even my old gen 6 intel cpu works fine and likely some older gen cpus work too.

you don't really need to forward a physical network card (which would require
some better hardware), a set of virtual nics provided by the hypervisor will
work most of the time, yes the thru-put may be lower but if the bandwidth
requirement is not gbit speeds then it probably works fine anyway.

BUT, there is reason for having your router on a separate box.
having your main router as a vm with other vms on the same box can create some
interesting startup dependencies.

but most regular computers, even old ones, have plenty of resources left for
other things than just openwrt.