Packaging ZFS

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 02:23:58 PDT 2023

ZFS would be useful for any device with a few GB of RAM that has data
drives (a NAS for example). I've used ZFS extensively on x86 systems
with other Linux distros (Debian/Proxmox and OpenSUSE).
I think ZFS support is a good thing.

Booting from ZFS is probably not necessary for OpenWrt but zfs snapshots
are used by some BSD distros (TrueNAS Core) and maybe Ubuntu as a way to
version the rootfs and revert to an older OS version in case of problems
with updates (similar to what the Turris Omnia and OpenSUSE does with
btrfs afaik).

Afaik the ZFS project does support the two "major" archs aka x86_64 and
ARM64, and maybe Power. People have been using ZFS on Raspberry Pis and
on some Rockchip boards (in Debian/Ubuntu/Armbian/RaspberryOS) for years
at this point.

-Alberto