[OpenWrt-Devel] Ubus based service watchdog?

Eric Romano gelstudios at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:53:08 EDT 2020

It does seem like process supervision would be a nice capability to
have within procd.

Previously I've done this by a combination of:
1. trying to crash / exit the process when an inconsistent state is hit.
2. monitoring for delayed writes to a timestamp pidfile in temp.

procd's respawn directive can handle the first case (i forget but
something like "respawn 10 5 0" did fine), but the second one...
depended on a clumsy nanny process to reap / kill any that failed to
update their timestamp.

Feature wise, it would be nice to have more than one way to perform
the process health check.

Some options that come to mind are:
- a ping / pong -like method via ubus
- expecting the process to "touch" a specified file, which procd could
read stat times for
- either of the above, with the ability to trigger a refresh via
signal like SIGUSR1 or SIGUSR2, etc.

Would be good to hear what other methods have been tried by others,
and what a generic interface to this could look like in procd's
config.