[OpenWrt-Devel] 18.06 Bug: Baby Jumbo Frames on mt7621

Jaap Buurman jaapbuurman at gmail.com
Fri May 25 08:38:23 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:35 PM, Levente <leventelist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try upgrading the sysupgrade image using your bootloader.
>
> Lev
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Jaap Buurman <jaapbuurman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My apologies for leaving out important details. I am using a Dir-860L
>>> B1. I used to be running Lede 17.01.4, until last Tuesday. At that day
>>> I upgraded to OpenWrt 18.06-SNAPSHOT r6917-8948a78 via Luci. Flashing
>>> any other firmware seems to be broken now: I have tried flashing a
>>> build compiled from your staging tree, I've tried reverting back to
>>> 17.01.4 and I've tried reflashing 18.06. All end up in the exact same
>>> spot: Still on the OpenWrt 18.06-SNAPSHOT r6917-8948a78 with all
>>> manually installed packages still present. I've tried flashing via
>>> Luci and via the sysupgrade command (with the -v switch for more
>>> verbosity), but no useful information there. The last line that is
>>> output is simply:
>>>
>>> Commencing upgrade. All shell sessions will be closed now.
>>>
>>> One particular weird thing that I do remember on this build, is the
>>> fact that I tried to update all upgradable packages via OPKG (I know
>>> this is discouraged). One of those packages was "base-files". The
>>> upgrade failed with a weird error (can't remember what exactly), but
>>> nothing seemed wrong at that time, so I didn't really think much about
>>> it. Is there anyone more knowledgeable than me that knows whether this
>>> could influence the sysupgrade functionality?
>>>
>>> Lastly, I do not have a serial cable unfortunately, so I think
>>> debugging will be difficult for me. I could use recovery to reflash a
>>> fresh 18.06 build, and see if upgrade functionality is still broken in
>>> that case. I will report back with my findings.
>>>
>>> Yours sincerely,
>>>
>>> Jaap Buurman
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> This just popped up on the Lede forum:
>> https://forum.lede-project.org/t/xiaomi-wifi-router-3g/5377/879
>>
>> So this might simply be a (mt7621 specific?) bug that prevents
>> sysupgrade from working properly. I am still awaiting his answers to
>> verify that he is indeed also running into the same issue where to
>> firmware won't upgrade.
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>>
>> Jaap Buurman

I know how to fix the issue by recovery, however, from the responses
in the topic on the Lede forum it seems more people are running into
this issue. This definitely needs to be fixed before a 18.06 release.
Is there someone with a mt7621 device that can reproduce the problem,
and that has serial access? We might be able to figure out what is
going wrong.