OpenConnect hangs after connecting?

Itamar Gal igal at utexas.edu
Wed Sep 7 16:37:11 PDT 2016

Dear OpenConnect Developers,

I'm a new user. I'd like to ssh in to a remote server and then connect
to a VPN from there using AnyConnect. The server is running Ubuntu
12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and I'm working inside of an LXC container
running Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr).

I installed the OpenConnect package (which has OpenConnect version
v5.02). When I attempt to connect to the VPN the connection appears to
be successful, but hangs after completion. I also manually installed
OpenConnect version v7.07 and tried using that instead, but I got
similar behavior; the output looks slightly different, but it still
appears to connect and then hang.

I've found several relevant looking results via Google, but nothing
that I understood to resolve my issue.

In the postscript I've included an example (slightly anonymized) of
what it looks like when I attempt to connect.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Itamar

P.S. Here is the console output from my shell session:

sudo openconnect --no-cert-check --usergroup=groupname --user=username
1.2.3.4/url-path

POST https://1.2.3.4/url-path
Attempting to connect to server 1.2.3.4:443
SSL negotiation with 1.2.3.4
Server certificate verify failed: signer not found
Connected to HTTPS on 1.2.3.4
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.0 302 Temporary moved
GET https://1.2.3.4/url-path
GET https://1.2.3.4/+webvpn+/index.html
SSL negotiation with 1.2.3.4
Server certificate verify failed: signer not found
Connected to HTTPS on 1.2.3.4
Please enter your username and password.
PASSCODE:
POST https://1.2.3.4/+webvpn+/index.html
Got CONNECT response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
CSTP connected. DPD 30, Keepalive 20
Connect Banner:
| This system is for the use of authorized users only, etc...

Connected tun0 as 5.6.7.8, using SSL
Established DTLS connection (using OpenSSL)