the TOS copy patch thing :)

Ralph Schmieder ralph.schmieder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 01:00:06 PST 2015

Hi, David, all. Wondering if we ever got to a conclusion on submitting the TOS copy patch I submitted a while ago. Also... to quote a colleague on the question of IPv4 / v6 interoperability of this field:

 "In a pinch, one might also read https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2474, which defines the DSCP. The title of that document is "Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers", and it defines one thing, not two."

And, again my view on the applicability is that the primary use case here is local networks... NOT the internet. traffic leaving my computer needs to contain the original TOS marking so that my gateway can prioritize traffic leaving my residential gateway (needs prioritizing of voice / video traffic and policing w/ limited upstream bandwidth). Markings will be stripped by SPs anyway (don't know of any who do keep them). And if it is off per default and has to be turned on explicitly I don't see any reason why this could be a bad thing to add.

Thanks,
-ralph