free choice of authgroups

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Mon May 19 08:21:26 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Kevin Cernekee <cernekee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is that really necessary? It could be simply a warning message, as
>> there are cases where a server may support more groups that the ones
>> advertised.
> On Cisco this could be done through a group-url.  So instead of
> entering a bare hostname, the user would enter something like
> "https://vpn.foo.com/my-group-url".  The group-url namespace is
> separate from the authgroup names used in the dropdown list, and so it
> can include hidden groups.

That looks like a lot of legacy craft and I'd like to avoid using the
URL if possible. Even openconnect accepts differently the one type of
group from the other (as I understand there is --usergroup and
--authgroup).

> More recently we also saw a case where fields in the client cert were
> used to select the group.

That is supported in ocserv too.

> These options are described here:
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/98580-enable-group-dropdown.html
> If ocserv asked the user to manually enter an authgroup name that was
> not listed in the dialog, it would cause trouble for most/all GUI
> clients.

I see, but I'd like to simplify the group selection by not adding any
cisco legacy cruft. I'll experiment a bit with that.