TAP adapter detection

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Apr 24 06:25:55 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-17 at 17:01 -0400, Greg Toombs wrote:
> Found the problem. tun-win32.c:45 -
> #define TAP_COMPONENT_ID "tap0901"
>
> This is only valid for the most recent version of the TAP adapter. For
> other versions, this should actually be "tapoas". So openconnect
> saying that there are no TAP adapters is incorrect. Instead, it should
> check all known component IDs, and then check for the version, so that
> instead of reporting no TAP adapters, it detects the following:
>
> Error: TAP-Windows driver v9.9 or greater is required (found 9.7)
> Set up tun device failed

Hm, really "tapoas"? Where did that driver come from?

As far as I can tell from the OpenVPN revision history, they've used
'tap0901' since February 2007¹ and it was 'tap0801' before that.

Adding the openvon-devel list to Cc since the clue we seek is probably
there...

¹ https://github.com/OpenVPN/tap-windows/commit/ee313a978f7aa9