ocserv: website and mtu problems

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Sep 30 06:13:37 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 11:58 +0200, fabian.jaeger at chungwasoft.com wrote:
> I am away from the office until Monday, October 14 and your email will
> not be forwarded.

Hi Fabian, I've unsubscribed you from the openconnect-devel list because
you're spamming anyone who posts to it with your autoreply message. I
recommend that the owner of the vpnc-devel list does likewise, since
I've received your messages from there too.

It actually takes a *litany* of errors for your autoreply to do this; if
the software you're using got *any* of these things right, then it
wouldn't have caused this problem:

 - An autoreply should never response to list or bulk traffic, as
   identified by the 'Precedence: list' or 'List-Id:' headers in the
   messages it's responding to.

 - An autoreply should only ever send messages to the SMTP
   'reverse-path' of the message which triggers it. In this case, that
   would be the openconnect-devel-bounces@ address which would have
   noticed your email 'bouncing' and automatically stopped sending mail
   to you without annoying anyone. Likewise for the messages to the
   vpnc-devel list, which would have reached the list software but not
   been broadcast to everyone on the list due to the misguided Reply-To:
   setting on that list.

 - An autoreply should always be sent with an *empty* reverse-path of
   its own, just like a bounce messages, so that it is less likely to
   cause a mail loop with other misbehaving autoresponders. If it'd at
   least got *this* bit right, then I for one wouldn't have received it.

 - And an autoreply shouldn't keep responding over and over again to the
   *same* targets. This is the eighth identical such message I've got
   from you, including the five that went to *all* vpnc-devel
   subscribers.

I wonder what would happen if someone sent you a message claiming to be
from *yourself*. Would your autoresponder go wild, responding to itself
over and over again until it melts down? Tempted to try, but I
won't... :)

Please could I ask you to fix your autoresponder to comply with *all* of
the above, before enabling it again if you resubscribe to this list.

Thanks.