Errors when connecting with openconnect / Partial success with networkmanager-openconnect + Cisco anyconnect

misomosi at gmx.fr misomosi at gmx.fr
Wed Sep 18 12:13:51 EDT 2013

Hello there,

I am experiencing some problems when I try connecting to a VPN server. The University which provides the server (Universite Joseph Fourier, France) has set up some automatic software installation thingy on their website which installed Cisco Anyconnect client on my computer, latest version. Of course, their VPN server is something like Cisco related.

So, If I connect with Cisco Anyconnect it all works well (except that the daemon was failing due to segmentation faults on my 64-bit Linux machine - but that's another problem).

If I connect with openconnect using the networkmanager-openconnect applet, something goes wrong and I get this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61764287/openconnect-issue/1.png

If I connect in command line I get the following output:

$ openconnect --authgroup=Etudiants_UJF -v vpn.grenet.fr

POST https://vpn.grenet.fr/
Attempting to connect to server 193.54.184.65:443
SSL negotiation with vpn.grenet.fr
Connected to HTTPS on vpn.grenet.fr
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.0 302 Temporary moved
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:46:37 GMT
Location: https://vpn1.grenet.fr/
HTTP body length:  (0)
POST https://vpn1.grenet.fr/
Attempting to connect to server 193.54.184.66:443
SSL negotiation with vpn1.grenet.fr
Connected to HTTPS on vpn1.grenet.fr
Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:46:37 GMT
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:46:46 GMT

Now, I have noticed that there is a workaround to this, which is:

1) Connect using Cisco Anyconnect client

2) Try to connect using networkmanager-openconnect applet (which will hang)

3) Cancel the connection in networkmanager-openconnect which leads to these errors being shown:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61764287/openconnect-issue/2.png

4) Disconnect in Cisco Anyconnect client

5) Now I connect in networkmanager-openconnect and the login form looks like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61764287/openconnect-issue/3.png

6) Success, each time I do this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61764287/openconnect-issue/4.png

So even if I have that Cisco thing working, I would really like to have openconnect working because it's nicely integrated in the Gnome3 UI and at least I don't get random service segmentation faults.

I mailed here because I never made it with openconnect alone. So I guess it is not a networkmanager-openconnect problem because with that one it works(although with that complicated hack above - I dont even know how I discovered it).

I use:
Manjaro 0.8.7 64-bit as distro
Gnome 3.8.4
openconnect 5.01-1