Problems connecting to VPN that insists on downloading secure desktop

Kevin Cernekee cernekee at gmail.com
Mon May 20 11:45:46 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Martin Uhrin <martin.uhrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to connect to our Uni VPN which I haven't done with
> openconnect before so I have no idea if I can expect it to work.
>
> The latest failure I get is 'Failed to exec CSD script
> /tmp/csdq9y1Q8'.  I realise that I can supply a custom script but what
> would this have to contain?

The older server installations would provide a standalone CSD binary
that openconnect could execute in its own process, but unfortunately
this method seems to be deprecated by Cisco.  On this server the Linux
legacy CSD binary does not appear to be installed at all:

curl -I --insecure
https://vpn.ucl.ac.uk/CACHE/sdesktop/install/binaries/sfinst -> 404
Not Found

On a known good server:

curl -I --insecure
https://vpn.mobile.unibas.ch/CACHE/sdesktop/install/binaries/sfinst ->
301 redirect to an installation script

FWIW the legacy Windows binary is installed:

curl -I --insecure
https://vpn.ucl.ac.uk/CACHE/sdesktop/install/binaries/inst.exe -> 200
OK

But that doesn't help us.  So, you may want to sniff a good AnyConnect
session and write a --csd-wrapper script that posts the appropriate
data to the server.

> POST https://vpn.ucl.ac.uk/
> Got HTTP response: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:34:25 GMT
> HTTP body chunked (-2)
> XML POST enabled
> GET https://vpn.ucl.ac.uk/+CSCOE+/sdesktop/wait.html
> Failed to exec CSD script /tmp/csdq9y1Q8

One of the side effects of using the new "XML POST" protocol is that
the server response will not provide the paths to the legacy CSD
binaries, even if the binaries are present.  This means that it is
mandatory to use --csd-wrapper instead of --csd-user.

I would be curious to know whether the legacy CSD binaries ever work
properly with the newer servers.  I have seen at least one case where
they were present but completely non-functional.