Trouble with network-manager-openconnect-gnome when using a gateway with multiple IP addresses

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Feb 5 14:31:53 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 13:12 -0500, Brian D Peyser PhD wrote:

> $ ldd /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-openconnect-auth-dialog | grep openconnect
>         libopenconnect.so.1 => /usr/lib/libopenconnect.so.1 (0x00007f798364e000)
>
> It seems the network-manager-openconnect from Ubuntu 12.04 (v0.9.4.0) is
> failing here since it doesn't use the new library. Correct?

Right.

> I'd guess what I need to do is compile a new version of at least
> network-manager-openconnect and network-manager-openconnect-gnome.
> Maybe even more of those components, like network-manager (v0.9.4.0)
> and network-manager-gnome (v0.9.4.1).

Hopefully just network-manager-openconnect-gnome. But I'm not entirely
sure of the dependencies and what else is out-of-date and would have to
be updated if you pull in current versions of that.

You *could* just build a version of openconnect v3.15, as is in your
original package, with my patches applied (note the plural there; I
pushed another fix last night to the git tree). That should solve your
original problem, and would provide a libopenconnect.so.1 which gives
numeric results for $HOST instead of just returning the hostname it
used.

However, if you want to use smartcards as I think you originally
mentioned, then you really do want to update wholesale anyway. You need
to be using a version built against GnuTLS, not OpenSSL. The *reason* we
made an incompatible ABI change to the library, requiring the soname to
change from libopenconnect.so.1 to libopenconnect.so.2 and everything to
be rebuilt, was so that we could make it SSL-library-agnostic.