VPN connection lost frequently

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Dec 7 13:35:51 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 13:30 -0500, Dinesh Kumar wrote:
> I am connecting into University at Buffalo network using openconnect.
> I keep losing connection after only few minutes of inactivity (i.e.
> 3-5 minutes). It behaves fine if I'm running a attached session of
> screen on the the server side. I never faced this problem before. I
> suspect it might be because of my Internet connection.  Is there a way
> to tell for sure?

Can you run openconnect with the '-v' option and show the output when it
gets disconnected?

You can also check whether the server is enabling DPD ("Dead Peer
Detection") or keepalives. If it isn't (or if it is but with a large
interval), you can force openconnect to keep the link alive by adding
something like '--force-dpd=30' to the command line.

Also, it *should* reconnect automatically if the problem is just that
the connection is getting broken (perhaps by an overzealous
connection-tracking firewall that forgets the connection too soon). Does
it not?