is the jailbreak app really a virus?

Chaskiel Grundman cg2v at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 3 00:51:55 EST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Alex Nemirovsky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This article claims that jailbreak is a virus.
The virus scanners claim that jailbreak is malware. Not all malware are
viruses.

In this case, it is my uninformed suspicion that it is considered malware
because it can be seen as a "hacker tool". The detections marked
Jailbreak or Jeakail are almost certainly for this reason. I can't say
what the other detections mean.

> Can someone explain why this utility is being referenced on
> the openconnect home page?
Some people don't have copies of their VPN certificates other than
installed on windows machines. Depending on how the certificates were
installed, jailbreak may be the only way for them to get copies of
the certificate and key usable by openconnect.

> Are the virus scanners mistaken?
There's no way for us to know for sure (unless someone on this list is an
isecpartners employee...)