Project Idea

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Fri Jul 1 06:14:14 PDT 2016

Hello Brian,

On 07/01/2016 08:41 AM, Brian Barber wrote:
> I just thought of something and wondered if anyone out there has tried
> it.  Since most of the Netwinder is solid state and it runs on 12V, has
> anyone tried hacking some sort of wireless connectivity solution and
> installing one in a car?  12V, low power consumption, quick boot time,
> small physical foot print - there must be some kind of automotive
> application.  Media server (with external HD)?

I did this back in 2001, just after Rebel.com imploded. Used it to play
my MP3 collection, while driving across the country. Worked pretty well,
but the ~20 second delay for boot-up was mildly annoying. And changing
songs was clunky - I used the orange button to advance.

Today, a $199 Android tablet has more storage space, comes with wifi and
bluetooth, is always on (thanks to battery) and takes up less space.
Plus it has GPS and access to the internet.

Curious to hear if anyone is still using their Netwinders...

-Ralph