Project Idea

Douglas Paul doug at bogon.ca
Mon Aug 8 12:04:47 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I was surprised to see new messages here like the others when I happened to
hit '.' in Mutt (I don't do that often)

It's surely been years since anyone has heard from me but I thought I'd
reply to Ralph's question of a couple weeks ago : In fact I have one
Netwinder still running. You might be able to see a 'Corel Computer' MAC
address in an IPv6 address in the headers on this message, depending on how
things connect.

I had picked up a dual-RM model (both with 128MB RAM) on eBay for almost
nothing. IIRC they had previously served as nameservers for the Rebel.com
domains :)

The one I have still running I'm still using as a nameserver and a mail
server (routing only). It's running the final release of Debian for armv4l.
Which is really really old now ... amazing how fast time goes.

My old DM currently has a version of Gentoo I was trying to get going with a
patched gcc to support the 'neweabi' without the return instruction it
requires. It was actually working fine and had good performance, but I
lacked spare time to migrate the server to it.

We'll see how much longer it keeps going ... I'm slowly migrating services
off it as I find time. It's been remarkably stable though ... over a decade
now without any real failures. The hard drive was replaced with a CF card so
that probably helps ...

Doug

--
Douglas Paul