Software for 3100

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Nov 12 20:44:16 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:00:22PM -0500, Ralph Siemsen wrote:

> I was rather suprised to discover, during my recent experiment with
> Debian Etch on the CrusoeWinder, that both ext3 and the various
> filesystem attributes seem to work just fine with firmware v1.12.

Looks like Andrew was right (again!).  Using ext3 only works up
to the point when you do an unclean shutdown (power failure etc.)
After that point, the CrusoeWinder firmware can't deal with the
filesystem.  At this point, your only option is to retrieve the
kernel another way (TFTP/FTP/HTTP) so you can run e2fsck.

So, avoid the problem by using ext2 for the /boot partition
(or wherever you have the kernel image).

-R