hwclock/rtc under Debian Etch

Chad House chadh at pobox.com
Sat Jan 26 20:02:58 EST 2008

The original 2GB hard drive on my NetWinder failed recently after more
than eight years of faithful 24/7 service, prompting me to replace it
with an Emphase 2GB IDE flash module. (I had to remove the speaker,
because the module plugs directly into the 44-pin connector on the
motherboard and sticks up vertically about an inch.)

I took the opportunity to install Debian Etch, and things are working
quite nicely except for hwclock, which complains about the absence of
/dev/rtc. The off-the-shelf Debian footbridge kernel (2.6.18-5) has
the RTC support built as modules; none are loaded by default, and the
kernel's drivers/rtc subdirectory contains:

    rtc-core.ko
    rtc-dev.ko
    rtc-ds1307.ko
    rtc-ds1553.ko
    rtc-ds1672.ko
    rtc-ds1742.ko
    rtc-isl1208.ko
    rtc-m48t86.ko
    rtc-max6902.ko
    rtc-pcf8563.ko
    rtc-pcf8583.ko
    rtc-proc.ko
    rtc-rs5c348.ko
    rtc-rs5c372.ko
    rtc-sysfs.ko
    rtc-v3020.ko
    rtc-x1205.ko

Do any of these support the NetWinder's RTC hardware (which I assume
is part of the Winbond chip)?

Cheers,

Chad