python-ctypes

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Mon Jul 30 14:59:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 08:05:05PM +0200, janrinze at home.nl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I discovered the ROX-desktop and would like to install it on the Netwinder
> (reasons being faster and smaller memory footprint..)

Hmm, I rather doubt that after you add all of python and any bloat
it pulls in, that you will be smaller than a native compile of, say,
matchbox or xfce4... but that's just a guess.

> Unfortunately it needs python-ctypes which apparently has not been made
> available for ARM-linux..  So begs the question.. does anyone here knows how
> to get python-ctypes for ARM linux?
>
> I could try to compile it but I have become discouraged by the number of
> people on the 'net that say it can't be done..

There looks to be recent progress on this in the Debian camp:
http://www.nabble.com/Bug-397653%3A-Please-support-the-arm-architecture-tf2597619.html

"python2.5 uses libffi-dev from gcc, and yes it supports ctypes on arm."

-R