new to netwinder

janrinze at home.nl janrinze at home.nl
Sun Jul 29 05:22:10 EDT 2007

---- Ralph Siemsen <ralphs at netwinder.org> schrijft:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 09:24:36PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> > One concern I've had is the fan noise.  This page expains how to
> > replace the fan with a quieter one but the link "quiet fan" no longer
> > works so I don't know what fan to buy.
> >
> >   http://netwinder.osuosl.org/users/r/ralphs/public_html/fan/
>
> Oh that brings back memories :)

it does..

I have changed the shape of the holes in front of the fan with a dhremel..
the noise was less.. but this netwinder has ran about 9 years non-stop..
so actually the fan wasn't all that bad.. :-)

brings the question.. who has done the heat-design of he case?
and have they used any CFD software to model the flow?

> > Maybe you could replace the fan using these instructions.
>
> The fan is NKB model 1204KL-04W-830
> New URL seems to be:
> http://www.nmbtech.com/products/fans/dc1204kl.html
>
> There's nothing too special about it, other than it runs on 12V
> and it fits in the space... and its quiet and moves same CFM as
> the original...
>
> -R

I will take a look at that.

Looks like a little 'Netwider revival' meeting on this list :-)

Jan Rinze.