Using FTP rescue

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Mar 8 17:35:25 EST 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Paul Thompson wrote:

> Hi have finally managed to upgrade my Netwinder to the latest version
> of Nettrom ( 3.2.2 ) (thanks Ralph for the help) and got the rescue
> partion on HDA4 working using rescuefs-0.5-1.tar.gz (thanks again)

I did exactly the same thing, but with version 2.3.3 -- I'm curious as
to how 3.2.2 is different. I've seen scattered mentions of a "2.3-4"
being available at one point, but I don't know how that one was
different, either. I also imaged 0.5-1 to hda4, but I should also look
into this as an alternative:

http://netwinder.osuosl.org/devteam/andrewm/images/rescue-arm
-20010219.tar.gz

> Even managed to download an old image using FTPRESCUE .
>
> My question is this. How can I download the base image
> base-nw9.tar.bz2 ?
>
> FTPrescue will not download it it just reports file error or  somesuch
> error. The problem is not the way I am using ftprescue as I have
> already used to download and install old images. I assume that
> ftprescue was written before .bz2 was thought of.
>
> Any ideas how I can download it easily ? . I am sure that in the
> rescue partion HDA4 a utility exists to unpack files with a .bz2
> extension Please remember that up to now Linux etc is still very much
> a mystery to me.

I used the live NW9, but ran into the very same issue. What I ended up
doing was downloading the .tar.bz2 to another machine with a big-enough
HD, doing a bunzip2 to generate an uncompressed .tar file, putting said
.tar file in an NFS-exported directory (namely the one that held the
NFS root I was booting the NetWinder from, or did I use nfsrescue? I've
now forgotten...), and extracting the .tar file on the NetWinder from
the NFS mount. The bunzip2 and the extract both took a very long time.