Kernel config

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Apr 13 10:23:30 EDT 2005

François Jacques wrote:

> Alright. I'll compile (tonight?) a 2.4.19 kernel using your patch files to see if there's any change. Gee, I really need to setup my x86->arm crosscompiling environment soon!

If you want to cross-compile 2.4 kernels, you either need an "old"
crosscompiler (2.95 works), or else you need to patch several things in
the kernel.  Of the top of my head, there are two main things:
1) _asm_ macros with multiline strings need to be broken up.
2) all the initcall's fail, because in 2.4 they are marked as "discard"
and newer toolchains actually _do_ discard the resulting ELF blocks.

-R