[PATCH 3/3] riscv: dts: allwinner: d1-t113: Add the hardware spinlock

Conor Dooley conor.dooley at microchip.com
Fri Oct 2 01:37:12 PDT 2026


On Fri, Oct 02, 2026 at 07:48:21AM +0000, Wilken Gottwalt wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 08:32:51 +0100
> Conor Dooley <conor.dooley at microchip.com> wrote:
> 
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 02:05:47PM +0000, Wilken Gottwalt wrote:
> > > On Wed, 30 Sep 2026 20:02:21 +0700
> > > Nguyen Minh Tien <tien.nguyenminh at embeddedlinux.blog> wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi Wilken,
> > > > 
> > > > > Wouldn't it make more sense to add the "allwinner,sun20i-d1-hwspinlock" line to
> > > > > the driver in the sun6i_hwspinlock_ids struct, drop
> > > > > "allwinner,sun6i-a31-hwspinlock" here in the D1 device tree and update the yaml
> > > > > file accordingly?
> > > > 
> > > > Thanks for looking at it. Bjorn hasn't replied yet, so I looked a bit
> > > > more at the naming. I'd like to keep the A31 fallback: it's the usual
> > > > pattern, other blocks in this dtsi do the same (timer, I2S, LED
> > > > controller), and Conor already acked the binding in 2/3. If Bjorn
> > > > prefers a driver entry instead, I'm fine to change it.
> > > 
> > > Yeah, Conor was a bit quick to act here, such things happen often with patchsets
> > > made out of documentation/devicetrees and code. Though, the get clock and resets
> > > patch is fine. The driver could use some modernization.
> > 
> > I dunno, was I too quick to act? The patched looked correct to me, since
> > it was using a fallback to a device that it appears to be compatible
> > with. Had the series done what you're suggesting, my review feedback
> > would have been to tell the Tien to add a fallback.
> 
> I'm just not sure how to actually do it right, because so many SoCs include that
> feature.

If devices share a programming model with existing devices or have a
programming model that's a functional superset of existing devices (so a
new optional feature etc) they should use the existing device as a
fallback compatible.

> That is why I asked how you would do it having more insight as a
> subsystem maintainer.


> It just looks incomplete to me. In the past I actually
> verified it working with H2, H2+ and H3, none of them being
> "allwinner,sun6i-a31-hwspinlock".

Then probably there should be a patch adding all of these to the enum
alongside the new d1 compatible.

Cheers,
Conor.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 228 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-riscv/attachments/20261002/b5e91430/attachment.sig>


More information about the linux-riscv mailing list