pccard_validate_cis() vs. antiquated SRAM PCMCIA-Cards

Alexander Kurz linux at blala.de
Wed Apr 14 15:36:24 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,
for the pcmciamtd driver there exists a Kconfig option
CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA_ANONYMOUS to support anonymous storage cards.
At present, using this option has no effect at all,
because anonymous PCMCIA-Cards are filtered out
by pccard_validate_cis() in the pcmcia_card_add() stage.

Access to this card is possible with the fixed version of the
pcmciamtd driver, when pccard_validate_cis() is disabled. e.g.:
# modprobe pcmciamtd mem_type=1 force_size=1 bankwidth=1

Here is an example for a quasi-anonymous card,
a Kingmax (maybe clone) 1MB SRAM-Card SJA-001M5C:

# pccardctl status
Socket 1:
  5.0V 16-bit PC Card
  Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "pcmciamtd"
# pccardctl info
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=64

Should I build an exception, or should we declare those
antiquated cards as "not supported"?
An other alternative would be to skip the pccard_validate_cis()
when CONFIG_MTD_PCMCIA_ANONYMOUS is set.
What do you think about this?

cheers, Alexander