Verifying that PCMCIA is working

Russell Bell russellbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:52:21 EST 2009

I just obtained a new PCMCIA card, a generic PCMCIA-USB
adaptor that allegedly uses a VIA VT6212 chipset.

My computer, a Thinkpad A30p, linux 2.6.28, doesn't detect
it.

lspci reports the Ricoh cardbus bridge but no inserted card.

The pcmcia, yenta_socket, rsrc_nonstatic modules are
loaded.

pccardctl reports no card present.

Nothing in /var/log records anything happening on
insertion or removal, even though I have enabled
pcmcia_debug in the kernel.  I also have usb_debug
enabled; it doesn't detect the extra host.

The card works in a Windozze machine (not mine: I don't
have Windozzzzzze).

I have no other PCMCIA cards.

How do I tell if my PCMCIA host is working? It did a few
years ago when I had ethernet and wireless PCMCIA
cards.