Help with pcmcia on an acer aspire 1400LC with 2.6.31 (possible regression?)

Sergio Callegari sergio.callegari at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 13:10:53 EST 2009

Hi,

I wonder if some can help me sorting out the problems that I am experiencing
with the above hardware (even with pointers to helpful discussions on this ml).

The laptop, that is sort of older, is installed with ubuntu karmic 32 bit
(which, to the best of my knowledge uses 2.6.31 and should not have special
patches wrt pcmcia).

When I insert a 3G pcmcia card for mobile internet access:

1) the kernel can see the insertion of a pcmcia card
2) the pcmcardctl ident command correctly identifies the card
3) the serial_cs module gets correctly loaded
4) udev makes /dev/ttyS0 point to a new device in the sys hierarchy
5) the card starts flashing its led in the way it is expected to do

but

6) lspci cannot see the card
7) dmesg stops at the pcmcia 0.0: registering new device (printed twice, both
for pcmcia 0.0 and 0.1), but does not say anything like 0.0: ttyS0 at I/0 0x3F8
(irq = 19) is a 16550A as other laptops do with the same card.
8) ttyS0 remains not responsive.