2.6.28-rc2: new PCMCIA device instance after resume - orinoco can't download firmware

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at sisk.pl
Wed Oct 29 08:18:04 EDT 2008

On Wednesday, 29 of October 2008, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2008, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:19:50PM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > > I am running PCMCIA based orinoco with WPA support (external firmware)
> > > and two patches to cache it after request_firmware to use in resume.
> > >
> > > This worked fine in 27 and wtopped working in 28-rc. The apparent difference
> > > I see:
> >
> > Hm, can't find any suspect patch which would change this behaviour in PCMCIA
> > land. Could you try to bisect it on {drivers/base/ kernel/power
> > drivers/pcmcia drivers/net/wireless/orinoco*.c} possibly?
> >

> Yes, I too checked log for drivers/pcmcia and could not find anything
> spectacular.
>
> I am afraid I can't estimate when (if) I will be able to do bisect :(
>
> Rafael, it looks like some serious changes in suspend/resume framework?

Nope.  Almost nothing has changed in this area, except for the patch that
reworks the disabling of user mode helpers:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1bfcf1304ea79c46efc3724e548b13b4b442b418
and several bug fixes.

You can try to revert it, but I really don't expect it to have such an effect.

> Do you have any idea what could it be? Original message is here:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=122522165719760&w=2

This probably is a result of the fact that we don't include firmware blobs
into modular drivers any more.  Please try to compile your driver directly
into the kernel and enable CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL.

If this helps, we'll know what the problem is.

Thanks,
Rafael