Linux 2.6 PCMCIA Subsystem / Driver Documentation

James Ronald james.ronald at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:23:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:49 AM, Dominik Brodowski
<linux at dominikbrodowski.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:39:56AM -0400, James Ronald wrote:
>> I have not been able to find a Linux 2.6 PCMCIA driver for the ARM
>> LH7A400 microcontroller.  I'm currently working on creating such based
>> on the 2.6 ARM SA-1100 driver and the 2.4 LH7A400 driver written by
>> Lineo also based off the SA-1100.
>
> Excellent. Please submit your patch for merging "upstream" once you think
> it's ready; also you might want to send your patches here for review even
> before. It will be based on soc_common, right?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it will be based on soc_common.  I'll have
to bother you when I think it's ready as I have never tried to merge
anything "upstream" before.  Although, it may be a waste as I don't
think that there is much interest in the lh7a40x micro controllers
these days.

>> It's not going as easy as I had
>> first thought and it would be really helpful if I understood the
>> PCMCIA drivers and subsystem better. All I have been able to find so
>> far is a list of bullet items in the Documents folder and and on
>> kernel.org.  Can someone point me to recent Linux 2.6 PCMCIA subsystem
>> /driver reference material or do I have all the documentation that
>> there is on the subject.
>
> Well, that's basically it. Taking a look at clean other soc_common-based
> socket drivers is probably the best thing to do; also "git log" on these
> files may contain helpful information. And if you have any questions, just
> ask rmk, me and/or this list.

That's too bad.  I guess there are not that many people writing PCMCIA
drivers therefore not much interest in providing good documentation.
Although, you would think that if such a subsystem were to be changed
that it would have to documented and presented for review.

Best regards
James Ronald