Segmentation fault when running binaries off a CF card on arcom pxa255 SBC

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Fri Apr 25 13:29:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 06:10:21PM -0700, Ajay Pal S Grewal wrote:
> In general it has been observed that any binary residing on
> /dev/hda1 partition (mounted on /usr) when executed for the first
> time, second or even third time gives segmentation fault. However,
> it is able to run fourth time and onwards. Examples:
>
> root at viper bin# pwd
> /usr/bin
> root at viper bin# ./scp
> Segmentation fault
> root at viper bin# ./scp
> usage: scp [-1246BCpqrv] [-c cipher] [-F ssh_config] [-i identity_file]
>            [-l limit] [-o ssh_option] [-P port] [-S program]
>            [[user@]host1:]file1 [...] [[user@]host2:]file2

Have you verified using a separate system that the source file you
copied and the new file on CF are identical?

(Please boot the system only using old files on MTD to get checksum
on the system. Put the CF in a CF reader on another, trusted, system
to get checksum of the copies.)

If it was reliably a single failure maybe dynamic linking could be
blamed. I am not sure since you say that it sometimes takes more
retries before the binary work.

Another matter is the CF - maybe there is a bit error and sometimes
internal error correction in the CF will fix it, sometimes it gets
the bit wrong. Are your flash cards new? Could you try more than two
easily?

It would be interesting to see ldd and strace for some binaries that
you try to execute.

//Peter