CF GPS unit trouble.

Xamindar junkxamindar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 05:28:31 EDT 2007

Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask.  I have been searching and
asking around in other places for two weeks now and haven't found a
solution.

Here is my issue:  I have an ambicom compact flash gps card that I would
like to use on a laptop plugged into the pcmcia port via a cf to pcmcia
adapter.  At this point I am able to plug it in and dmesg reports the
following (first time plugged in):

pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 1
cs: memory probe 0xf4000000-0xfbffffff: excluding 0xf4000000-0xf8ffffff
0xfa000000-0xfbffffff
pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia1.0
1.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

I can not cat /dev/ttyS1 and receive any data (should be able to see
data) or get gpsd to use it.  Isn't ttyS0 and ttyS1 used for the
internal serial ports anyway?  Something is wrong with the way this card
is configured when it is plugged in.  I tested it not only on this
laptop running Gentoo Linux but also on another laptop with Gentoo and
Ubuntu live cds with the same result.  But the card DOES work in
windows, tested on second laptop.

Here is a list of loaded modules on this laptop:

  lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
serial_cs              20100  1
rfcomm                 32796  1
l2cap                  20100  9 rfcomm
ndiswrapper           163612  0
radeon                121248  3
drm                    72852  4 radeon
intel_agp              21140  1
agpgart                26416  2 drm,intel_agp
pcmcia                 32676  1 serial_cs
pcspkr                  2432  0
yenta_socket           22924  4
rsrc_nonstatic         11264  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            32528  4 serial_cs,pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
snd_intel8x0           28316  0
snd_intel8x0m          13708  0
snd_ac97_codec         94240  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_intel8x0m
ac97_bus                2048  1 snd_ac97_codec
tsdev                   6336  0

These are the facts:
1: The gps card works fine on my Zaurus (explained below)
2: The gps card does not work in modern linux, same symptoms on all tested.
3: The card does work in windows, so the adapter is not broken.

This card works great on a Sharp Zaurus which is running a 2.4 kernel.
Here is what dmesg reports on the zaurus:

ttyS03 at port 0xf60003f8 (irq = 135) is a 16550A

and that is it.  I think serial_cs is built into the kernel on the
zaurus if that is really the driver this card should be using.  Now the
strange thing about the zaurus is even though dmesg shows "ttyS03", I
access the card by /dev/ttyS3.  There is no ttyS03.  This leads me to
not even trust what dmesg says on the laptops.

I hope someone on this list can point me in the right direction.

Here is some more info on the card and laptop:

pccardctl ident
Socket 0:
   no product info available
Socket 1:
   product info: "CFGPS", "LPV1.0", "", ""
   manfid: 0x0104, 0x0060
   function: 2 (serial)

pccardctl status
Socket 0:
   no card
Socket 1:
   3.3V 16-bit PC Card
   Subdevice 0 (function 0) bound to driver "serial_cs"

cardctl status
Socket 0:
   no card
Socket 1:
   3.3V 16-bit PC Card
   function 0: [ready], [req attn]

Note: [req attn] does not show on the zaurus.  I can't figure out what
that means.  I know cardctl is depricated so maybe it has something to
do with that?