Sandisk 6-in-1 card reader

Onet Cristian onet.cristian at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:16:02 EST 2007

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:43:56 +0000 (GMT)
> From: msar2020 at gmail.com (Michael Robb)
> Subject: Sandisk 6-in-1 card reader
> To: linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org
>

> >This indicates that you're using the old ide-cs driver (under
> >CONFIG_IDE in the kernel config) and I would like to suggest that you
> >try to use the new libata based pata_pcmcia driver (under CONFIG_ATA)
> >instead. Disable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS and enable CONFIG_PATA_PCMCIA.
>

> Thanks,
>   I have recompiled and installed the linux-2.6.23.1 with the above flags
> set through 'make xconfig'. Installing the card into a running system
> gives the following messages:
>
> pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
> pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia0.0
> ata1.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x2)
> ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata1: SRST failed (errno=-16)
> ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
> ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
> ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata1: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
> ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
> ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
> ata1.00: limiting speed to UDMA7:PIO5
> ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
> ata1: device not ready (errno=-16), forcing hardreset
>

> Cheers,
>   Michael

I have had similar problems with a TI PCI 1620 card reader and it turned out
that the ata device provided by the card reader upon insertion of a memory card
can only handle 8 bit transfers. The pata_pcmcia kernel module tries to transfer
data on 16 bits and it only transfers half of the data that's way it
says (Status 0x80)
it means the busy flag is set in the ata register since the device has
more data to transfer.
I managed to use my card reader by modifying pata_pcmcia to do an 8
bit transfer.

By the way there is another post today about transfer modes:

>Is there a parameter/method for setting the transfer type on the yenta
>driver?  My Cardbus controller is (on my thinkpad T30):
>
>02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus
>Controller (rev 01)
>02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1520 PC card Cardbus
>Controller (rev 01)
>
>In particular, I'd like to switch between byte, word, and Dword modes.
>Also, how would I query which mode I'm in?

Cristian