Recommendation for PCMCIA (DMA capable) interface chipset

Iain Barker ibarker at aastra.com
Fri Dec 21 13:33:21 EST 2007

Hi all,

Per earlier postings, we use an embedded ARM processor with TI PCI1510 interface for PCMCIA.

We use CompactFlash cards only in that socket, for the rootfs.

After much hacking around with various combinations of ide-cs and libata drivers, I never managed to get more than 1 MB/S kernel 2.6.23, tested with SanDisk ExtremeIII cards (CFA PIO6 and 25MB/S capable).

The TI chipset doesn't DMA, and the Linux drivers don't support PIO >0 for PCMCIA, so either way I get low throughput and high CPU overhead...

I think the time has come to abandon this chipset and find a DMA capable alternative.

Does anyone have good experience iwth a PCI to PCMCIA/CF interface they can recommend?

thanks.