Very slow disk access via PCMCIA adapter

Simon Atkinson simonatkinson at operamail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:20:59 EDT 2007

Hi Peter

Thanks for responding with some solid advice. Apologies for being slow
to get back to you; I've been away on business for a few days.

I'll look into the IRQ conflicts on the laptop.

You mention trying  2.6.22.1 with pata_pcmcia, get udev and
pcmciautils and get rid of cardmgr.

I'm using a Knoppix live CD. I have had a look at the link:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/pcmcia/pcmcia.html

I'm not sure how to proceed though, as I'm using a live CD and not a
dristribution that is installed on a hard disk, which can be updated
easily. I presume the only way to go is to customise Knoppix and
create a 'revised' ISO with the necssary PCMCIA tools and burn that to
a CD? Are you a Knoppix user?

Using the existing live CD (Knoppix V5.1.1) I'm not experienced enough
in Linux to create a persistent directory and the scripts required to
load the necessary PCMCIA files/modules at start up.

I'd grateful for further help.

All the best

Simon