White/blacklisting manf_id/prod_id vs. func_id

Peter Stuge stuge-linux-pcmcia at cdy.org
Mon Nov 20 22:08:02 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:07:03PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:43:33PM -0500, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> > As the matching by func_id is fuzzy and gives false positives, this
> > is a multiple-step process:
[..]
> > It is self-evident that steps b)-d) only work once userspace is
> > ready.

Yes, and this answers my previous question. Thanks, Dominik!
I hadn't seen this process described before.

> > manf_id and prod_id table entries do make sense even if func_id
> > matching works.
>
> However, it doesn't scale.

Feel free to suggest something that does, yet produces 0 false
positives.

I guess it comes down to deciding between white- or blacklisting.
Which of course just depends on what the common case for PCMCIA
devices is. Make sense?

//Peter