IO resource allocation problems in configuring multifunction card

kaustav.majumdar at wipro.com kaustav.majumdar at wipro.com
Fri May 12 06:10:30 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I am currently working on a multifunction card with a serial and a USB
function.
When I try to configure both the functions, the second function
(whichever I try to configure
Second) does not get configured.

On further investigation I found out during second function's
configuration
It fails inside alloc_io_space().
The portion of the code where it fails is to figure out obvious
conflicts.

The kernel version is: 2.6.15.4
I had built the kernel with Yenta socket driver as module.
I am also using PCMCIAUTILS-013 and the Cardbus bridge needs resource
database.

When I try to configure the serial function second (I insmod the USB
client driver
first, then insert the card and then insmod the serial_cs module) it
gives the following msg:

serial_cs: RequestIO: no more items

The serial function requires 16 bytes of IO resource and the USB
function needs 64 bytes of same.

My /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file reads as:
include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include port 0x1000-0x17ff
include port 0x4000-0x4fff
include port 0xa00-0xaff

Also another interesting point is when I configure serial function first
cat /proc/ioports shows
16 bytes of IO memory allocated to both pcmcia_socket0 and the serial
function but if I configure
the USB function first then it shows 64 bytes of IO memory allocated to
both pcmcia_socket0 and the
USB function.

Is it required that the yenta socket module to be in-built?
Or should I change the config.opts file to include more IO memory?

Thank you,
With Regards,
Kaustav Majumdar

www.wipro.com