FC5 not properly configuring modem ofmultifunctionmodem/ethernet card

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Wed Jul 12 10:08:48 EDT 2006

Quoting Romano Giannetti <romano at dea.icai.upcomillas.es>:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 07:45 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:

>> > I have  a 3com/megahertz :
>> > Socket 1:
>> >   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz 3CXEM556 B", "LAN + 56k Modem", ""
>> >   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0035
>>

>> Romano -
>>
>> That looks like the product info for one of the 3Com cards that has a
>> file in the cis database to go into either /lib/firmware
>> or /etc/firmware.  I would try copying the file and changing the name.
>> The only issue is whether Ubuntu is using /lib or /etc as the place to
>> put the firmware "cis override" (as the howto calls it) directory.  I
>> found an empty directory in FC5 in /lib.  Take a look and see if Ubuntu
>> also creates an empty directory in either place.
>
> Yes, I have done it. The card switched to not be recognised at all to be
> recognised, but just the first function (the LAN) works. The serial port
> is missing.
>
> It _did_ work with an old kernel (when there was cardmgr around).
>
> Almost desesperate now.
>
> Romano

Romano -

My last message from Jar was to the effect that because the drivers
were being properly loaded it was no longer a pcmcia problem but was
likely something else.  I'm trying a few things, such as working on
modprobe.conf to get the proper devices aliased to the drivers and
then trying to configure my card.  I'm not completely sure it is not a
pcmcia problem, but all these things (udev, hotplug, and all the
others) are now supposed to be working together and a problem in one
of them is a problem for all of them.

It may be particular to FC5, but if Ubuntu has an
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf (or some kind of equivalent) take a look at it.
Also, look at modprobe.conf and see if it has anything relevant (mine
had an "alias eth1 serial_cs" which was probably auto-generated by
something and might have been causing trouble.  More importantly, do
an lsmod and see if the proper drivers are being loaded.  The driver
for the serial part is serial_cs.

Stan Klein