Toshiba with TOPIC100 can't use slot 0 if booting from PCCard.

Gwoho Liu gwoho at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 00:06:59 EDT 2006

Hello group!

I am trying to boot Linux 2.6.17.1 on my Toshiba R150
notebook computer from a compact flash card in the PC
Card slot.  It mostly works, but here is my problem--

I am sorry for including so many details--probably
many are not relevant, but I do not know enough about
computers to know which are relevant.

When booting off PC Card slot, the BIOS sets the
vendor/product in the PCI configuration for the
TOPIC100 to -1.

That's easy enough to fix--I modified the kernel to
force these to be Toshiba/TOPIC100.  After this, Linux
detects the TOPIC100, but only slot 1 works.

Slot 0, the one I used to boot, doesn't work.  All of
the calls to cb_readl() (in
linux-2.6.17.1/drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.c) return
-1.

Any ideas what is wrong?

By the way, pcibios_sort() (in
linux-2.6.17.1/arch/i386/pci/pcibios.c) doesn't find
the TOPIC100, but I guess this is harmless.

I am using pcmciautils-014, but it isn't running at
this stage of booting.

If I had two compact flash cards, I supposed I could
boot off the one in slot 0 and use the one in slot 1
for root.  Or I can yank the card out of slot 0 and
put it in slot 1 while booting.

But I'd rather somehow make slot 0 work.  Besides, it
is a challenge.

Thank you.

--Gwoho.