Cardbus undetected, assign-busses doesn't help

Rafał Dowgird dowgird at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 17:23:20 EDT 2006

On 4/8/06, Rafał Dowgird  wrote:
>  I'm trying to get a Cardbus card to work, it does not show in lspci
> [ ... ]

Ok, I'm replying to myslelf, since I have some more information about
this problem. I spiked the pcmcia and pci code with some printks and
found out  that when drivers/pci/probe.c:pci_scan_device() tries to
read PCI_VENDOR_ID using pci_bus_read_config_dword(), it gets
0xFFFFFFFF and bails out with NULL.
When I split the call into two pci_bus_read_config_word() for
PCI_VENDOR_ID and PCI_DEVICE_ID I got 0x104c and 0x9066 respectively.
These seem to be the correct values for this card.

So it seems that for some reason reading both a vendor id and device
id as a single dword from the CardBus doesn't work on my hardware
(ThinkPad 600 + D-Link DWL-G650+ rev. B1), while getting them
separately as words works OK.

So, my question is - where do I go from here? I don't really know any
PCI/Cardbus stuff, so I don't even know whether it is a hardware bug
or a 'feature'. I suspect that reading dwords from CardBus config just
isn't supported on this machine, but maybe it is and the kernel does
it the wrong way. Is it a good idea to submit this as a kernel bug?

Regards,

Rafal Dowgird