Huawei EC321 works with Linux

Kevin Verma kevinverma at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:49:03 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have recently purchaced a Huawei EC321 here for CDMA1xrtt Internet
access and this product works out of the box with Linux.
http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=146

I have tested this on a Fedora Core 5, and earlier on a Fedora Core 4
box both with kernel 2.6. However as of now it is not being able to be
usefull on CentOS 4.3 becasue of an issue with one of the usb modules.

Well yeah, if you do a "pccardctl info" the output is as below:
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255

and the device node is /dev/ttyUSB0 , so this is actually pretty much
a USB device in PCMCIA slot. This device did not come with AT Command
references and are not avaialble on vendor support site either. When I
tried to obtain the same from the vendor, my request was turned down,
however they did inform me that they are working on Linux support
further.

As in my experience this device is useful with TATA Indicom in INDIA,
and the throughput is amazing, except for 1 RX error in 10000 !

Cheers,
KEvin