bind and unbind from userspace

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Sep 20 00:20:36 EDT 2005

Hello!

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 16:13 +0300, Jar wrote:
> > No. /etc/hotplug/blacklist complicates stuff largely, and is not used by the
> > hotplug scripts for the MODALIAS-based loading of modules. Either you should
> > add something appropriate to /etc/modules.d/ , or you should only build one of
> > these two drivers.
>
> OK. But how the Linux distros would handle this? Majority of Linux users are using
> distro kernels. And usually all drivers are compiled as modules.

I think the module loading is irrelevant here.  If you want certain
drivers to work with certain cards, you want it even if all modules are
already loaded.  You cannot rely on modules to be absent from memory.

I believe a better place to set this policy would be hotplug.  This
should be possible now.  But it may happen that the hotplug script will
have to unbind an already bound driver.

A better, more flexible solution would be to a have module parameter
that would cause the driver to load without binding to any devices.
Then the binding could be moved to the userspace completely for
sophisticated systems that actually care about that.  That's something
like the old PCMCIA, but not restricted to PCMCIA drivers and capable of
using the compiled-in device tables.

But I think the default should be to bind the driver on load, including
PCMCIA.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin