[RFC] cardmgr to pcmciautils mini-howto

Bob Tracy rct at gherkin.frus.com
Sun Oct 23 15:50:11 EDT 2005

Daniel Ritz wrote:
> (the mini-howto -- pcmcia-cs --> pcmciautils)

Wonderful start!  I've got an old Toshiba Tecra 730 with the i82365
controller (16-bit cards only), and since the pcmcia modules don't
get auto-loaded in my environment, finding out that I needed to do most
of what rc.pcmcia was doing *except* starting cardmgr was extremely
useful information.

Potential "gotcha" with the proposed rc.pcmcia modifications under
Slackware: you really don't want to have that script call "exit"
because Slackware doesn't call it in a subshell, i.e., it gets invoked
this way -- ". /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia".  See the comments at the bottom
of the pcmcia-cs "rc.pcmcia" script for more info.

The next major hurdle I've got to get past is figuring out how to
configure/initialize pcmcia network interfaces under Slackware.  RedHat
and similar distros with /etc/sysconfig rely on configuration data
stored under /etc/sysconfig so that things like "ifup eth0" work as
expected.  Under Slackware, all the pcmcia/cardbus network startup is
handled by pcmcia-cs (scripts under /etc/pcmcia such as "network" and
"wireless").  My best guess as to how to proceed is to create a
/etc/hotplug/pcmcia directory and put the appropriate startup scripts
there.  Unfortunately, examples are hard to come by, presumably because
most people are using the /etc/sysconfig model.

Anyone have one or more examples of how to have hotplug bring up a
network interface under Slackware?  Thanks in advance for help that
would be *most* appreciated!

Bob Tracy                   WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org
rct at frus.com