Regarding writing a PCMCIA client driver for a multifunction device

monali.katkar at wipro.com monali.katkar at wipro.com
Mon Nov 28 23:43:48 EST 2005

Hello PCMCIA Gurus  ,

I have a 16 bit Compact flash card. This card  facilitates a
multifunction bridge between a host interface (such as on a PC, PDA )
and both a USB 1.1 (Full Speed, Low Speed) host interface and a richly
featured UART.   I want to write a driver to support this multifunction
device on kernel 2.6 .

The host controller on this card deviates from the OHCI standard as
follows -
An OHCI interface normally works by having a set of 32 bit registers in
an IO or memory window, and various data structures in host RAM (i.e. in
the RAM of the computer). This card does have 8K an amount of memory
(the USB memory) be included on chip. This memory is made available to
the host system via  the PCMCIA interface.

Hence i would need to write a HCD driver and a PCMCIA wrapper for this
HCD. I am currently looking at the PCMCIA wrapper and HCD driver for
SL811HS (as found in REX-CFU1U) in kernel source code .

a) Could you suggest me the changes that i would need to do if the
device is multifunction device .  Are there any sample multifunction
PCMCIA drivers. Pointers to any code /documents would help .

b)How do i look if the card functions can be used independently . What
in the CIS information is required to support this. How do i validate
that the vendor reports information that is sufficient for me to write
the driver.

c) How to reserve resources for each function on this card
usage of pcmcia_request_io() and realease_io.I have not understood the
IO setting part/ remapping. Where do i find some document talking about
pcmcia framework and its APIs.

Please mark me a CC as i am not subscribed to this list.

Thanks,
Monali

Confidentiality Notice

you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro or Mailadmin at wipro.com immediately