Shared Video Memory and PCMCIA

Jon Dossey JDossey at deltahealthgroup.com
Thu Jul 14 11:08:32 EDT 2005

This has been discussed on the list before, I understand.  I've reviewed
the material I've found there, and have some additional questions.

Russell King said:
> How much memory do you really have in the machine?  0x1e000000 is an
> odd top of memory value - that's 480MB.  I suspect you actually have
> 512MB, in which case you want to do:
>
> 	reserve=0x1e000000,0x02000000
>
> to force resource allocations to be above the RAM.

I believe that second hexadecimal value is missing a 0?

Converting this to decimal gives me the following values:
First: 503,316,480
Second: 33,554,432 (or, with the extra 0, 536870912)

Which is correct?

... or, what, to me, appears to be a reserve of appx. 32M of memory.  If
I reserve this space, by passing it as a kernel boot parameter, with
BIOS configured to consume only 32M of video memory, I can dodge the
pcmcia errors, and read the values from the PCMCIA device using cardctl.
However, if I remove this parameter, or, increase the amount of video
memory to 128M (where I'd like I'd like to set it) out of 512M
available, the messages reappear.

How would I go about determining the proper reserve values to tell the
kernel that the video card is going to eat up 128MB of system memory?

Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
.jon