[RFC 1/2] export pcmcia info to hotplug

Jean Tourrilhes jt at hpl.hp.com
Wed Feb 16 13:04:56 EST 2005

Dominik Brodowski wrote :

> Why not the prod_id strings themselves?
> a) They may contain all sorts of strange and difficult to handle characters,
>    like " ".
> b) It's impossible to pass multiple strings to userspace.

	Hi Dominik,

	Unfortunately, those devices strings are quite essential. I
hope that the first thing the hotplug script will do is to extract
those strings in some way.
	Please consider :
card "Lucent Technologies Wavelan/IEEE"
  version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE"
  manfid 0x0156,0x0002
  bind "orinoco_cs"

card "Intersil PRISM2 Reference Design 11Mb/s WLAN Card"
  version "INTERSIL", "HFA384x/IEEE"
  manfid 0x0156,0x0002
  bind "hostap_cs"

	Note that the way we workaround this in the present Pcmcia is
that most conf files are carefully hand crafted and don't declare the
manfid, so that we force the Pcmcia subsystem to only match by
strings.

	Have fun...

	Jean