[RFC 2/2] match PCMCIA devcies in kernelspace

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Fri Feb 11 14:49:32 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:28:55PM +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> This patch provides actual matching of pcmcia drivers and pcmcia devices in
> kernel-space. The original version of this was written by David Woodhouse.
> The first match wins -- therefore we need to take special care for
> "pseudo-multifunction-devices".

Dave:

I checked the pcmcia-cs code and found out that the kernel code is not
logically equivalent to the pcmcia-cs code. Therefore, it'd be helpful if
you could tell me if there are a significant amount of PCMCIA devices where
the function ID is "wrong" -- i.e. devices with function ID "3" but not
working with the parport driver, ID "4" but not working with "ide_cs", ID
"1" and not working with "memory_cs" and -- probably most important --
ID "2" and "serial_cs". Note that multiple bindings to one card should work
with my code nonetheless -- just a card with ID "2" but needing a different
driver than "serial_cs" would fail.

Thanks,