grey- and blacklisting drivers [Was: Re: Using the "best available" driver]

Dominik Brodowski linux at dominikbrodowski.net
Tue Dec 13 17:54:42 EST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 05:00:51PM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > The same is true for sysfs booleans. No need to "describe" "autobind" on
> > and off, right?)
> >

> If it is called autobindm but I am lobbying for "bind_mode". See serio
> bus below.

bind_mode is not self-explanatory. And the textual interface takes up more
space, and as we want to propagate this interface to as many drivers as
possible (I imagine), the cleaner and leaner the interface, the better :-)

> > > 2. They already used in kernel, so if you switch to numeric you'll
> > > break userrspace
> >
> > Ther are currently no such attributes at the driver level, right? So
> > this does not apply at all.
> >

> serio bus has 'bind_mode" device and driver attributes. If we add them
> to the driver core I would like them to be compatible so I could drop
> them from serio bus itself.

Well, you can have both :-) -- and then, after a conversion period, drop one
or the other.

> > > 3. Implementation difference is insignificant.
> >
> > Well, if a boolean is enough, I disagree. But I'm not sure if someone
> > will want to specify a third operation mode. Than the textual values
> > are a big advantage, sure.
> >

> Hmm, I wonder what that mode will be.. "random"? ;)

Yes, I cannot think of a third mode either... and 0 and 1 (which we can
"suggest" to users of the interface) are extendable to 2, if we ever need a
random or other mode...