grey- and blacklisting drivers [Was: Re: Using the "best available" driver]

Jean Tourrilhes jt at hpl.hp.com
Wed Dec 7 18:07:56 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 05:52:11PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Dominik Brodowski (linux at dominikbrodowski.net) said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For various reasons, it might be necessary to switch to a better driver for
> > a device -- Jean can tell of many examples, if needed. Currently, that's
> > possible using modprobe's blacklisting capability (in
> > module-init-tools-3.2.1, at least) -- but that's for monolithic kernels
> > only.
>
> Why is the blacklisting for monolithic kernels only?
>
> Bill

	Actually, I think Dominik inverted the two and that
blacklisting apply only to modular kernel and would fail with
monolithic kernel (because the drivers are already pre-loaded).
	Anyway, that's not the point, and it does not really
matter. The point is that blacklisting is clearly not able to deal
with the reality and complexity of Pcmcia drivers (even for fully
modular kernels). If you want more details, feel free to check the
archive of the Pcmcia mailing list.
	Therefore, Dominik is proposing a per card overide using the
unbind/bind feature.

	Have fun...

	Jean