Using the "best available" driver

Jar jar at pcuf.fi
Wed Dec 7 17:00:50 EST 2005

Dominik Brodowski wrote:

  >>That is enough to me, just need one simple place to blacklist a module
>>(instead of deleting it, this is especially important for pcmcia cards
>>when the support for old cardmgr is removed.
>
> ... which won't happen before 2.6.16 is out, at least ...
>
>>I have pure orinoco cards
>>and prism2 cards in daily use) and I can live with this
>>many-drivers-to-one-hw thing. I hope Redhat would update that package soon.

But in other mail, you say:

"...but that's for monolithic kernels only"

But distro kernels are modular, does this mean that we have not
blacklisting feature after all?

>>Maybe things are changing too rapidly and the Linux Distributions can't
>>follow at same speed. /etc/hotplug/blacklist was working with 2.6.12 but
>>not with 2.6.14 in FC4.
>
> Probably FC has switched from hotplug to udev...

It is possible, have to check that. Then it means that all the stuff in
/etc/hotplug directoey and whole hotplug package is needless.

--
Best Regards, Jar