incorrect device IDs in hostap_cs

Jean Tourrilhes jt at hpl.hp.com
Wed Dec 7 16:33:34 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:19:18PM +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:02:46PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> > > Uh, what IDs in the list in
> > > linux-2.6/drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_cs.c reflect to Orinoco cards
> > > which hostap cannot "drive"? Then these entries are invalid and must be
> > > removed ASAP.
> >
> > 	Unfortunately, both cards have the same manfid. Yuck !
>
> Do they also have the same Prod IDs?

	No, the Prod IDs are different (see previous e-mail). But the
issue is that those card have some many ProdID that we don't have a
compelete list (and probably never will - the *.conf file only scratch
the surface), and so it's better to use the manfid to make sure to not
miss any cards. It's an acceptable tradeof.
	But, that does not totally solve the issue, as the Orinoco
driver has to include all the IDs of device supported by HostAP.

	Yeah, it's messy. That's why I believe we will never do the
perfect job and will have to live with manual overrides.

> Some other stuff which can easily be
> determined in the probe callback, so that the probe can fail, and the card
> unbound until the correct driver picks it up?
>
> 	Dominik

	Jean