Using the "best available" driver

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sun Dec 4 22:24:42 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 17:40 +0100, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 02:59:21AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > The matching is done in the kernel, but I think the userspace should
> > have its say, even if the kernel is monolithic.
> >
> > Either the userspace should control binding specific devices to
> specific
> > drivers, or it should at least be able to adjust the kernel matching
> > policy without telling the kernel what to do with individual
> devices.
>
> echo -n "0.0" > /sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/0.0/driver/unbind
> echo -n "0.0" > /sys/bus/pcmcia/drivers/hostap_cs/bind

Now that I see those commands even I remember using them in the past.
Sorry, I should have remembered that.

> > The problem also affects plx9052 bridges.  I wrote a pcmcia driver
> for
> > plx9052, but I hesitate to update and submit it to the kernel,
> because
> > users of orinoco_plx and hostap_plx will complain about conflicting
> > driver.
>
> The same (unbind, bind) is possible for PCI devices.

Indeed!  Thank you.  Now I have an answer for those who are
inconvenienced by the existence of the Orinoco driver.

Maybe I'll even find time to bring the plx9052 driver up to date.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin